Re: Re: Re: Discovery Project: Which Mission Next?

Jon,

When I first read this post, I had to say to my self what a typically self
centered me, me, me, ham you were. The 'service' in Ham radio service is
really missing these days. Your second posting let me see  what you're
really saying...basically cost benefit. And right you were.

Ok, so why is it Amsat keeps missing the biggest opportunity to implement a
world-wide school education contact program, cheaply, utilizing 2meter SSTV
transmissions from Mir and ISS, ON A WEEKDAY schedule to schools all over
the world..? It could be easily received by scanners aided by local ham clubs.
...."we want to have packet beacon our automated qsl messages on that
frequency" .. great, so all SSTV was done on the weekends when hams were
home and the school kids had no chance. If you have ever done a school
contact that the students ran themselves you would see what a wonderful gift
we have to give these 5 & 6th graders. They come into it not understanding
it's seeming complexity ..and leave seeing everything they have inside them
selves to do it successfully. At a time in their lives where they will
knowingly or unknowingly make the decisions to go down paths to drugs, or
useful lives, finding self-identity and self worth is vital. If you prefer a
QSL card ...well.. ;)

For us to miss the chance to have permanent weekday 2 meter SSTV from ISS
will be a shameful missed opportunity. I am absolutely astounded that our
Amsat leaders are missing this cheaply implemented program that can focus
such a bright light on what amateur radio can do to return the word
'Service' to amateur Radio.

With best regards,

Allen Emer, N2YAC
Amsat 30942

You Wrote:

>I don't think we should use our frequencies just so that children can get
>some telemetry from the moon.  I am all in favor for education being tied
>into ham radio.  But being able to tune in a particular frequency isn't ham
>radio.  Any dunderhead can do that.

>Education is also a very narrow segment of the hobby and excludes a
>tremendous number of the ham population.  I will not support such an expense
>for a very limiting arena.  That is why I also have heartburn over the SAREX
>or MIR or ISS missions being limited to just schools.  Why shouldn't I be
>able to talk to astrounauts as well?  We limit the use of expensive payload
>for an "educational pipe dream" (that all the kids who see the demo will
>become hams - what is our success rate, really) at the expense of turning
>off a good number of hams to space communications.
>The moon doesn't need a repeater on it, either.  It IS a repeater!  Ever
>heard of EME?
>
>73,
>
>Jon
>NA9D