Re: Re: Re: Discovery Project: Which Mission Next?

"Jon Ogden" <na9d@mindspring.com> wrote:

>Education is also a very narrow segment of the hobby and excludes a
>tremendous number of the ham population.  I will not support such an expense
>for a very limiting arena.  That is why I also have heartburn over the SAREX
>or MIR or ISS missions being limited to just schools.  Why shouldn't I be
>able to talk to astrounauts as well?  We limit the use of expensive payload
>for an "educational pipe dream" (that all the kids who see the demo will
>become hams - what is our success rate, really) at the expense of turning
>off a good number of hams to space communications.

Seems like you have failed to see through the "pipe".
I don't believe that the allure to children is the ability
to communicate via radio, but rather the opportunity to
converse with an astronaut in space. Hams are only providing
the medium (public service) to accomplish that goal.

When faced with the decision of whether to allow an
adult ham or a child the chance to engage in this
activity, I'd find the reward far greater to choose
the child.

73
Mike N4CNW
ISS Avionics - C&T