Re: FW: Phase 3D antenna questions

k5nrk@canufly.net writes:
>  The Sep/Oct issue of The AMSAT Journal will contain an article by Jim
>  Koehler, VE5FP and Eric Rawson, KN6KC titled "Putting Together a L/S Band
>  Antenna System for the Phase 3D Satellite."  Also, the issue will contain
an
>  article by Ed Krome, L9EK titled "Phase 3D New Bands: Antennas and
>  Transmitting."
>
>  BTW, lots of good stuff on Phase 3D in this issue including a detailed
>  description of scheduled Phase 3D launch preparation activities that will
>  take place in French Guiana in September and October; Infared Laser on
Phase
>  3D; AMSAT Field Day Results; ARISS news and photos, and lots, lots, more.
>
>  The issue will be at the printer's next week and should be in members'
>  mailboxes no later than 01OCT00.
>
>  I hope this helps.

Wow, Russ, I can't wait!   01-Oct is an eternity away.... seriously, thanks
for always finding great stuff to keep us looking forward to the next issue.

I might mention that the proclivity for helices at 13 cm is one of
practicality:  they are naturally broadbanded and have non-critical
construction.  Yagi-Uda beams at S-band frequencies require construction
tolerances beyond most hams' garage workshop capability.  The L-band, at 23
cm, is sort of the borderline and do-able with careful attention to
dimensions.  There is an excellent L-band quagi design in the ARRL Antenna
Handbook worth checking out if you want to build something fast and easy.
And Samual, if you are interested, I also have some P3D Yagi designs and a
(semi-succesful) helix for S-band at:
http://members.aol.com/k5oe/P3D_ant/P3D_ant.htm
73,
Jerry, K5OE