Re: On phased arrays with azimuth and elevation beam forming

I had some notions of making a phased array antenna with
a main lobe about 45 degrees up, matching the gain require-
ments of the low-orbit digital satellites (and possibly
others as well). This was based on a thesis I had read
that had, apparently for the first time, actually studied
just what antenna gain was needed...

I proposed it at school (I thought it would make an interesting
project), and the rejection was immediate, loud and profane.
So I dropped the idea. It's still a good one, and some day
I may do something about it. The mathematics of an optimal
array are similar to the mathematics of an optimal FIR
digital filter, by the way.

The references I tracked down were generally in the IEEE
journals (particularly Antennas & Propagation, and Microwave
Theory & Techniques). Also standard texts, like Kraus.

                                   - Hospital/Shafte