On phased arrays with azimuth and elevation beam forming

Recently I've read several (old) articles about the use of phased arrays
to create a steerable "beam" (in azimuth).    I'd like to build a phased
array system which I can switch in azimuth and elevation.

Can someone point me to a reference, article, or web page which
describes the theory behind changing the elevation of the beam ?

Douglas KA2UPW
dquagliana@aol.com
"1200 baud BPSK uplinks with just a soundcard!"