Re: Re: Discovery Project: Which Mission Next?

I tend to concur.  As a relative newcomer, I'm still trying to work the
kinks out of transponder based birds.  Unfortunately, by the time I figure
everything out, it is usually out of site.  That's because they are
leo's.  The nature of the beast I guess.  However, I would also agree that
we need either Geo Syncronous (Yes, I'm aware of the expense) or High Eart
Orbit birds with transponders on them.  I mean seriously, why can't we do a
constellation of Geo birds and tie them together?  Put some transponders on
them, and use them as a global network??    I'd donate my $1000 for a
project like that.  Yeah, it would run into the millions, but we have a
couple thousand hams world wide that would be interested in such a
venture.  Wouldn't it be cool to work Europe or ZL Land from a
handheld.  (WITHOUT an Arrow antenna)  Ok, I'm dreaming now, but that's my
take on it.  Until we get more than 2 functioning FM birds and one brain
dead High Earth Orbit bird, I think we should concentrate on getting a
higher quantity of birds up.

Dave

PS -  That's just my opinion, I could be wrong.