Re: Discovery Project: Which Mission Next?

DISCLAIMER:  These ARE the rantings and ravings of a AMSAT member and do not express any opinions of AMSAT as an organization. These are my own rantings and ravings, so please fire the flames at me, not AMSAT. But if you have ideas to share,please post them to the amsat-bb remailer. Thanks!!

OK...FLAME SUIT ON!!

Here's an article on space.com that caught my attention today:

http://www.space.com/news/discovery_main_000828_MB_.html

What are the possibilities of AMSAT doing a package or even a full-blown mission?

There has been talk of landing a rover that could be remote-controlled on the moon about a year ago. There was even recently a hint of doing a space-based telescope that would orbit the moon. What about a moon-based repeater system?

Wouldn't this be the next STEP for AMSAT to take?

Maybe we could hitch a ride even and offer the use of the amateur service to send back telemetry for the scientific community from one those missions? We do have the knowledge base to put together a transciever package that could do what they want PLUS have it work to our advantage also. This
transponder/transciever could be built so that we could use it when it's not in use sending telemetry back, based upon power budgets and schedules.

I see this as a challenge that AMSAT SHOULD take as we go into the next decade. We have done plenty with orbiting spacecraft, how about taking it a step further and expand AMSAT's reach and push that extra bit and go out further?

What's the concensus? SHOULD WE OR SHOULDN"T WE?

James KD4DLA