Re: Rigs

At 08:05 AM 8/24/00 -0700, you wrote:
>I am just getting into satellites after being a CW op forever
>and I was wondering if very many people were using a radio
>like a Icom 706MIIG or a FT100D to work the satellites with.
>Just need alittle help
>TNX

Hi Tim,

I use an FT-100 in my car with the Yaesu ATAS antenna. The ATAS
lets you work RS-12, FO-20, AO-27, UO-14, and FO-29
all with a single antenna. I don't have a station at home anymore
so this is my primary ham radio station for the time being.
A big plus is that I can run out to the parking lot at work
(when I can get away) for a "satellite break."

For satellite tracking, I run InstantTrack on a 20MHz 386SX laptop
that I leave on the passenger seat. For tuning, I use "InstantTune"
via serial cable to the FT-100 which sets the TX freq and adjusts
for Doppler so no need for full-duplex.

This is by no means a "power" station but it works fairly well
for medium to high elevation passes and of course works better
if you run CW.

If you are planning on attending the next AMSAT space symposium, I
will be giving a presentation on this. If you would like more info,
send me an email.

73,
Tony

Tony AA2TX@amsat.org