Re: Rigs

Hi Tim

Firstly, welcome to the satellites!

I've used a 706MkIIG for the uplink to a sat, but used a separate RX for
duplex. It's a bit of an exercise in quick thinking to get it right, and in
my experience prone to operator error. But then I'm probably not the
smartest operator on the block!

There are many who've managed with a simplex setup but IMHO you may give up
in frustration if you start this way.

If you're just starting, knowing you can hear your own downlink I'd say is
pretty essential. Indeed, I spent a short while celebrating just that on
FO-20, FO-29 and RS-13 before trying a real QSO on RS-13.

It sounded like you were thinking about purchasing a new radio for this. I
too pondered over exactly your suggestions of a 706 or FT-100 when starting.

If you _were_ thinking of buying new radio in the 706MkIIG price range, a
second hand FT-847, FT-736, TS-790 or IC-821 might be a better choice. The
FT-847 is the only currently available _new_ unit which directly supports
satellite duplex operation and I can recommend it. Indeed, many dealers seem
to be offering some good deals on the FT-847 because there's a number of
folks holding off for the Kenwood offering due later this year.

Waiting for the next new radio to come out is like waiting for the next
range of computers to come out. In the end you'll never buy anything. But
that's a whole new thread!

73 and the Best of Luck, G6LVB