Re: Thoughts on future "FM birds" (was: proposal formaximizing fm le o contacts)

On Sun, 20 Aug 2000, David M. Tipton, PhD wrote:

> My only issue with putting the uplink in the Novice/Tech portion, is that
> there are far too many CB'ers out there that still like to bootleg on that
> portion.  I hear it all the time where I live.

Yes, I agree.  I didn't say it was a "good" idea, I was only pointing out
that it was "possible" within the ITU rules...  But I agree, it would have
lots of disadvantages only to gain a few TECH+ operators who should by now
be GENERALS anyway...

de WB4APR, Bob

> Dave, N8KXA (A General Class Operator)

> >John Ogden wrote:
> > > Ah but, Bob.  There is a problem here.... To transmit in the Satellite
> > > band on 10 meters, you need to have a General or Extra class license...
> >
> >Hummh... But since the ITU satellite band covers the entire 10m band, then
> >the uplink could conceivably be in the old NOVICE/TECH 10m subband.  THus
> >they could play.  But with the recent restructuring, didnt almost all
> >Novices and TECH-PLUS's upgrate to general?  SO I guess putting it in this
> >TECH+ subbband for such a small percentage of users would be of negative
> >value, since that is a BUSY portion of the band anyway and would be too
> >much QRM...
> >
> >Just a thought...
> >Bob
> >

> >----

APRSdos REPLY/COMMENT:

Reply mail addr:   wb4apr@amsat.org
US mail address:   115 old Farm Ct, Glen Burnie, MD 21060
See DAYTON97 HISTORY:    http://web.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/dayton.html
See Maryland APRS LIVE:  http://web.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/aprs.html
See GPS on ANY radio:    http://www.tapr.org/tapr/html/mic-e.html