Re: Thoughts on future "FM birds" (was: proposal formaximizing fm le o contacts)

on 8/20/00 10:03 AM, Bob Bruninga at bruninga@nadn.navy.mil wrote:

> Hummh... But since the ITU satellite band covers the entire 10m band, then
> the uplink could conceivably be in the old NOVICE/TECH 10m subband.  THus
> they could play.  But with the recent restructuring, didnt almost all
> Novices and TECH-PLUS's upgrate to general?  SO I guess putting it in this
> TECH+ subbband for such a small percentage of users would be of negative
> value, since that is a BUSY portion of the band anyway and would be too
> much QRM...

NO, NO, NO!!

Putting ANY satellite uplink in the 28.3 to 28.5 MHz band is a RECIPIE FOR
DISASTER!!  That part is the most populated part of the band.  That is where
the DX hangs out, etc.  Sure, maybe during sunspot lulls it would be OK, but
certainly NOT NOW!

When condx are open, ten meters is pretty much used everywhere for a variety
of purposes.  Putting satellite stuff other places is a violation of agreed
upon band plans.  And it has been made clear by the FCC that failure to
follow the agreed upon band plans is not "good amateur practice" and is
therefore a violation of the rules.

ARGH!

Jon
NA9D