Re: PC Clock problem.

Yes. I have seen the same problem and had contributed it to possibily being
FBB when running at the same time as WISP. However, after just running
WISP I noticed the same problem. I then contributed the problem to being
the KCT driver running. After turing off the KCT stuff it appeared to run
longer but then again it appeared to do the same, but not as severe. The
clock loss, however, was sufficient enough to prevent accurate tracking of the
birds. I also noticed that rebooting automatically fixed the problem. This
indicates that it is the system clock and not the hardware clock that is
gettting
changed. The BIOS clock seemed fine.

I did not notice this apparent problem until going to an Intel Pentium 233
MMXII
chip and motherboard combination. The biggest impact seemed to be WISP32
and Pentium. I do not know if this problem occurs on Windows 95 as the
system I am using now is running Windows 98. When I had Windows 95
on an Intel 486 based system running WISP16 and MSPE 32 bit module, I
did not have this problem.

As a result, I have to run a utility that frequently updates the time using
WWV over the internet. My biggest impact seemed to be with running
the KCT driver software, but WISP by itself also seemed to be affected if
run over a longer period of time.

At 05:16 PM 08/20/2000 +1200, fredk@kcbbs.gen.nz wrote:
>Hi Guys,
>             Has anyone experienced problems with the PC clock
>losing time when running WiSP?   I have an experimental second
>station running WiSP round the clock and am dogged with an
>intermittent slow running clock problem.   All seems to be well for a
>period -  2 to 3 weeks on occasions - and then for some reason the
>PC clock starts to lose; and I mean lose!    14 secs per minute on
>one occasion! (Measured by opening up the Windows clock which
>is no mean feat as the mouse pointer has a mind of its own - no
>doubt a spin off of the timing problem.)   Since removing every
>vestage of the loaded WiSP prog. two weeks ago and reloading
>with the latest version downloaded on the same day, it has
>behaved itself. On checking this morning the PC had lost just over
>4 minutes since last nights passes of KO-25 and UO-22 - which it
>ran properly . UO-22 is set to update the clock incidently but as it
>had lost so much overnight it failed to do so during this mornings
>early passes. Assuming that the clock was corrected on the last
>pass last night it suffered its 4 minute loss in the space of about 10
>hrs.   Quite mild compared to previous losses but more that
>enough to screw up the project!
>    On shutting the PC down and re booting the PC time corrects
>itself and away we go again - but for how long?   The PC's only 1
>year old - Pentium 3 and is running Windows 98. It is dedicated to
>the sat. station - no junk software.   It is LAN connected but the
>problem comes up both with and without the LAN plugged in the
>wall.      Incidently, prior to the reload a different mother board was
>installed just to be sure.
>   Anyone had the problem?  Alternatively, can anyone tell me how
>I can identify what's 'preoccupying' the clock - or whatever?
>
> 73
>Fred
>----

Reid Bristor