Re: Re: Is the new FT-817 at least one solution to ourproblems?

on 8/19/00 9:04 AM, Masahiro Arai at m-arai@din.or.jp wrote:

> Though KENWOOD's new RIG has satellite mode, sub band works as only FM
> and AM. It will be OK for FM and FSK digital birds but there is no
> luck for SSB birds.

NO, NO, NO, NO!!

That is NOT correct.  I have talked to Kenwood about this.

The radio WILL be able to do all mode on the birds.  The second radio in
there IS an FM radio only, correct.  However, it DOES have an all mode
satellite button.  You don't need the second radio for this, just a second
VFO.  In fact, the FT-847 really doesn't have two receivers, but just one.

In other words, you'll be able to operate satellite mode and still monitor
your local FM channel.

So please, let's squash this rumor!  I specifically asked Kenwood about it
and they told me without question that it will be an all mode satellite
radio.  If Kenwood USA was wrong, then Kenwood's engineers and marketers are
a bunch of knuckleheads!

73,

Jon
NA9D