FM Satellites On Friday Night

I just finished working my first SO-35 pass in a long while.  When new, and
in mode B, this bird was an unfortunate example of everything that was wrong
with FM birds.  Tonight, however, I noted a "kindler, gentler" bird:  hearing
27 calls, including 5 VE's, an XE, and an HP1.  I recognized some of the
calls from this BB as well as some old friends from the SSB birds.  I
personally said at least "hello" to 14 of those fine, well mannered ops, and
had a nice chat with the guys south of the border when we were the only ones
left on the transponder.  There was plenty of courtesy and patience.  When a
specific call was made, it was obvious other ops stood by for a second or two
(that's all folks) to give the called station a chance to respond.    There
was even some white noise in the last half of the pass!  I just want to point
out that these birds are amateur satellites as well as any other and they
work as well as any other--just differently.

I personally enjoy HF contesting and agree with that comparison--except I
don't have to stay up all night and time my bathroom runs to the 10-minute
rule :-)  UO-14 comes by in a couple of hours and if I don't fall asleep on
the sofa, I'll be there....
73,
Jerry, K5OE