Re: Budgets

on 8/18/00 7:39 AM, Gary "Joe" Mayfield at ka0yos@AMSAT.Org wrote:

> I would imagine most of use PCs in $400 to $600 range and get 8 to 10 years
> out of them.  I would be delighted to get your old 386 or better for
> shipping.

I forgot hams are by nature cheap.

Let's see.  What's a 386?  I didn't know Motorola made an 68386.  All of my
machines have had a 68 in the processor like a 68LC040 or PowerPC.  Let's
see my computers:

Purchased a Macintosh Performa 630CD in 1994.  Cost me around $2500 or so
for the whole get up.  Purchased a PowerMac 8600/250 using a PPC604E about 3
years ago.  Also purchased a 17 monitor at the time as well.  Whole getup
there cost me nearly $4000.  Mind you, every machine I've bought has had
lots of extras like tv tuners and/or video in/out capability.

I'd gladly pay you to take a 386 if I had one.  Whatever a 386 is.

73,

Jon
NA9D

Jon Ogden