Re: Is the new FT-817 at least one solution to our problems?

Err, what band(s)?

73, doug

   Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 03:21:35 -0600

   Today at Yokohama´s Ham Fair 2000 I saw at the Standard-Yaesu boot a very
   interesting equipment: FT-817 all mode *portable* transceiver.

   It is very small (13.5W x 3.8H x 16.5D cm) and weights only 900 grams!!!.
   Modes: USB, LSB, AM, FM, FM-N, and packet conecctions for 1200 and 9600.

   It has BNC conector on the front and comes with a small antenna.  Also has
   a "traditional" coax conector on the back.

   It puts out 5 watts when using 13.8 volts and about 2 watts when use with
   batteries (AA batteries OK).  It operates split and have VFO A/B
   capabilities but since I can´t read Japanese and the explanation I received
   in english was limited (on both sides) I don´t know if it can operate cross
   band at least.

   It will be available in Japan in September at about +/- $US1,100 (but
   radios here seems to me more expensive than in the US).  They will start
   their marketing campaing in the US in October. They told me that probably
   will be available in the US by December.

   If it can work cross band and 2 watts are enough would be interesting to
   operate the Fujis with an Arrow and maybe RS-13 with an Arrow and something
   else.

   73 de Ramon, XE1KK
   www.xe1kk.net
   xe1kk@xe1kk.net