RE: Thoughts on future "FM birds" (was: proposal for,maximizing fm le o contacts)

On Fri, 18 Aug 2000, Tony Langdon wrote:

> ... Would rather see 10m/70cm for such an experiment, as the satellite
> band on 70cm is 3 MHz wide.

Good discussion.  Certainly true from a bandwidth perspective.  But the
problem is then that  the satellite transmitter must be 10 times more
powerful to hit the omni receiving station on the ground...  Being able to
operate the satellite omni-to-omni was part of my original objectives in
my 10m UP <=> 2m Down suggestion for a "new user" type "easy sat".

Using a handheld ARROW with an FM HT is one thing that makes it very easy.
But... designing a system for newcomers that requires tracking and
pointing and an SSB rig and/or a downconverter is a totally different
ballgame and gets away from the easy-sat newcomer access uinsg just his
rigs and an omni antenna...

So anyway, that was part of the justification for the 2m downlink over
70cm.  But agreed it is a hard pill to swallow due to the lack of
satellite bandwidth on 2m..  Until we see P3D in orbit, it is hard to
predict what the narrow 2m satellite bandwidth is going to be used over
the nest several years... :-)

Bob

 > > > What
about the folks that don't have a 2M SSB rig on their > > mobile units? It
> > would be slick to have 10M SSB up and 2M FM down. Overall
> > though, I think
> > that type of design has great possibilities :)

APRSdos REPLY/COMMENT:

Reply mail addr:   wb4apr@amsat.org
US mail address:   115 old Farm Ct, Glen Burnie, MD 21060
See DAYTON97 HISTORY:    http://web.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/dayton.html
See Maryland APRS LIVE:  http://web.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/aprs.html
See GPS on ANY radio:    http://www.tapr.org/tapr/html/mic-e.html