Re: Budgets

> From: "Gary \"Joe\" Mayfield" <ka0yos@AMSAT.Org>
> Subject: [amsat-bb] Budgets
> Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 07:39:36 -0500
> 	[...]
> I would imagine most of [us] use PCs in $400 to $600 range and get 8 to 10
> years out of them.  I would be delighted to get your old 386 or better for
> shipping.  ...

Perhaps, a related question is whether hams are using their most modern
computer for amateur radio activities.  I assume that few people, even
on this list, are using 386s to access the Internet, but rather expect
a machine that supports a current browser, have a CD reader, etc.

I suspect that hams, pretty much like everyone else, have a reasonably
modern machine (at least Windows 95, or maybe even at least Windows 3.1)
with which they access the Web.  I also suspect that hams, unlike
"normal" people who move their 386s to the garage, move obsolete machines
to their ham shack.

-tjs