Equipment Costs / Conditions

Greetings,

    Someone mentioned RS-10, I had to smile.  I have many fond memories of
the bird!  Mode A is much easier to work from within an apartment than B or
J!  I worked 41 states from my apartment in Las Cruces, NM before moving.
The best ten meter antenna I had consisted of wire loop run around the room
where the wall meets the ceiling.  This fed an old garage sale special
short-wave receiver.  I tried crossed ten meter dipoles hanging from the
ceiling, but it never worked as well.  On two meters I ran my trusty Yaesu
FT-480 R into a turnstile.  Tracking info was Commodore 64 generated.

     All I had to adjust for was doppler.  No antennas to point.  No ugly
pile ups to face.  Before I operated that big money station I had a much
cheaper mode A setup, but that is another story.

73,
Joe