Re: proposal for maximizing fm leo contacts

on 8/18/00 5:23 AM, Joel Black at jbblack@mindspring.com wrote:

> I can't believe you folks who work contests don't like working the FM birds.

I don't like working FM for contests.

Yes, the FM birds are fun.  I do like playing on them sometimes.  But there
are better modulation formats for space communication than a single channel.
And there is more to satellites than FM!  The people frustrated with the QRM
should move to a linear transponder where there is the free air.  That is
what my point originally was in all this.  FM birds are great for mobiles,
portables, grid rovers, etc.  THEY HAVE THEIR PURPOSE!!  Yes, they do.  But
they aren't the end all and be all that they are marketed as.

> You wanna know
> what's disgusting?  Trying to work DX to that island (wherever it was now)
> earlier this year on AO10.  My setup is around mode J; I work AO10 near
> perigee out to about 16,000km reliably.  It was at night, just before AO10
> went into Earth's shadow, and we all know that AO10's batteries are dead.
> This ham in the states insisted on monopolizing the DX station talking about
> what he had for breakfast and how big is hemorrhoids were.  Just kidding
> about the hemorrhoids, but that is about what it amounted to.  Needless to
> say, I didn't work the DX station.  That was on a *SSB* bird!

It was Clipperton Island.  I was one of the lucky ones.  I nor NO ONE else
that I heard work the guy rag chewed with him. We were all trying to work as
fast as we could.  And anyone who does try to ragchew with a DX station in a
rare country is a LID!  Well, wait a minute.....there may have been the
first guy they were talking with who did this...I don't remember.  I worked
him around 7 or 8 PM local time.  AO10 didn't go into eclipse in March until
well, well after that time.  I'd been working people up to 11 PM or midnight
many times earlier in the year.  What caused the birds signals to go south
was not the lack of batteries, but the poor orientation of AO10s antennas
due to it's lack of attitude control.

I am really sorry you didn't get him.  I would like to know who was chatting
since they shouldn't have been.
73,

Jon
NA9D