Re: FM vs SSB

>From: "Christopher E. Phelps" <n2yqp@flash.net>
>To: <amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org>
>Subject: [amsat-bb] FM  vs SSB
>Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 22:23:22 -0600
    SNIP
>Hi All,
>There are other factors to consider in this argument over which is better FM
>Vs SSB on the birds. I don't know what the percentage is, but many of us
>live in cities and communities that cause limitations in what one can do in
>our hobby. I for one live in an apartment, which limits what I can have for
>antennas. I can work the fm repeaters and the packet digi's for within my
>space without having access to outside antennas ( I even worked UO-14 &
>AO-27 sitting on my living room floor with my HT and Arrow). If not in an
>apartment, there are more and more communities that are restricting what you
>can erect on your property, in the way of antennas and such, that a lot of
>us don't have the option of working anything but the fm birds. We have a
SNIP
>running into these kind of restrictions more and more. I can go out on my
>balcony or over to the school yard across the street to do my sat contacts
>and not have to worry about a permanent antenna structure. Oh I would like
>to work the other birds, but in my present local AO-27 & UO-14 is all I
>have. I know it can be very discouraging and frustrating trying to get in
>with my meager two watts, especially when on the road trying to give those
>whom want them, the grids and counties I am passing though. I know in the
>end that there are some out there that appreciate my efforts, and that is
>why I still do it. I know there were a couple times on my trip east that I
>almost said the heck with it all.
>73 Chris N2YQP

Chris....

   The REAL point is that with SSB you would have not only have an effective
 10 Db better chance on the bird, you also would be there because of the
 lack of a capture effect!! If you are limited in antennas, power and so
 forth..... SSB gives a much greater advantage than does FM!

                                               Kermit Carlson W9XA