Re: Thoughts on future "FM birds" (was: proposal for maximizing fm...

Hello Mike.  A very long time no hear, OM.

mike@altphoneco.com writes:

> At 09:18 AM 8/17/00 -0400, Bob Bruninga wrote:
>  >My design thoughts for a new analog SSB satellite for newcomers is:
>  >
>  >   10 meters UP with users using 25 watt Radio Shack $139 10m rigs
>  >    2 meters down for minimum doppler and greatest link budget
>  >
>  >This then would allow users to only need vertical whip antennas.  No need
>  >for tracking.  THus newcomers would find it trivial to get onto the bird.
>
>  Many newcomers to the satellite ranks do not have 10 meter privileges.
The
>  RS birds use a 2 meter up/10 meter down transponder.  Most of your other
>  comments apply to this mode (A) also.
>
>  Mode A (2 meter up/10 meter down) makes a very nice mode for newcomers and
>  others wishing to utilize existing equipment and antennas to work the
>  birds.  Doppler shift on either band is not severe.  Using standard
>  conventions, it is easy to tune the 2 meter uplink to keep your QSO in the
>  same relative portion of the transponder.

I recall somebody once (not my original idea) proposing a "chanellized" mode
A bird using 10 FM uplink "channels" and 10 SSB 10 m downlink "passbands
channels."
 While not conventional, such a cross-emmision design would make a really
nice mode for newbies--allowing use of 2 m HT on up link and an HTX (or even
(gasp!), a converted ssb CB) on downlink.

73,
Jerry, K5OE
ps for Bob:  I'm not sure there is a 10 m uplink passband for the amateur sat
service like there is on 15 m.