Re: The future (was: Re: Thoughts on future "FM birds")

> From: "laura halliday" <marsgal42@hotmail.com>
> Subject: [amsat-bb] The future (was: Re: Thoughts on future "FM birds")
> Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 00:57:06 GMT
> 	[...]
> The original 9600 baud digital satellites and the
> software that made them work were a fascinating inno-
> vation, and they continue to work well today. ...
>
> If we were to start over, with the experience we now
> have, 15 years of hardware development and a clean
> sheet of paper, we could probably come up with something
> even better. What might it be? What would it look like?
> 	[...]

1. Use native IP (i.e., no AX.25) over a link layer appropriate for
   space communications.

2. Examine with the Consultative Committee for Space Data Systems
   (CCSDS) protocols (http://www.ccsds.org/), and probably conclude
   that they are too hard.

3. Study the work of the Space Communications Protocol Standards (SCPS)
   project (http://www.scps.org/) ("Extending the Internet into space").

4. Experiment with the architecture and protocols being developed by
   the Interplanetary Internet Study group (http://www.ipnsig.org/),
   (Vint, et al.).

Of course, none of this has anything to do with hardware, but then again,
I'm just a networking guy...

-tjs