Re: Thoughts on future "FM birds" (was: proposal formaximizing fm le o contacts)

on 8/17/00 8:18 AM, Bob Bruninga at bruninga@nadn.navy.mil wrote:

> My design thoughts for a new analog SSB satellite for newcomers is:
>
> 10 meters UP with users using 25 watt Radio Shack $139 10m rigs
> 2 meters down for minimum doppler and greatest link budget

Ah but, Bob.  There is a problem here.  I guess it's a problem only if you
consider it one!

To transmit in the Satellite band on 10 meters, you need to have a General
or Extra class license.  In fact, you need that ANYWHERE on 10 meters to
transmit.  So the non-code technician would be shut out from the bird.  With
a 2 meter uplink and a 10 meter downlink, then I think you will include
everyone.

However, outside of that issue, I think your idea has a lot of merit!

73,

Jon
NA9D

Jon Ogden