The future (was: Re: Thoughts on future "FM birds")

Randolph Kohlwey <kohlwey@xmission.com> wrote:

>Does that mean no more 9k6 digital birds?

Good question. Do we need more?

The original 9600 baud digital satellites and the
software that made them work were a fascinating inno-
vation, and they continue to work well today. The
design tradeoffs were considered carefully, and
folks came up with a system that worked well.

If we were to start over, with the experience we now
have, 15 years of hardware development and a clean
sheet of paper, we could probably come up with something
even better. What might it be? What would it look like?

It would do a lot more in software (cheap and easily
changed) that was once done in hardware (expensive and
hard to change). What else?

>Are you willing to help finance a LEO SSB transponder right now?

For the record: Yes. But let's try to get P3D up first.

                                   - Hospital/Shafte