Re: Thoughts on future "FM birds" (was: proposal for maximizing fm le o contacts)

> > At 09:18 AM 8/17/00 -0400, Bob Bruninga wrote:
> > >My design thoughts for a new analog SSB satellite for newcomers is:
> > >   10 meters UP with users using 25 watt Radio Shack $139 10m rigs
> > >    2 meters down for minimum doppler and greatest link budget
>
>Mike Gilchrist responded:
> > Many newcomers to the satellite ranks do not have 10 meter
> privileges.  The
> > RS birds use a 2 meter up/10 meter down transponder.  Most of your other
> > comments apply to this mode (A) also.

At 01:19 PM 8/17/00 -0400, Bob Bruninga retorted:
>Yes, but still, the doppler tuning of mode A transmitter is 5 times
>greater than doing the same on a 10m uplink.  Yes, the combined up/down
>total is the same, but with 10m up, the smaller shift is on the uplink,
>so everyone in the passband retains their relative position about 5 times
>better and the whole group then moves greater relative to any particular
>receiver.  Thus a 5 times reduction in the "sliding QSO" problem...

The Doppler shift on a 10 meter downlink is negligible.  The Doppler shift
on a 2 meter downlink however is around 3 kHz on a LEO satellite.  Since
convention has the operator tuning the higher frequency of the transponder
pair, the operator would be tuning the 2 meter uplink on mode A, or in your
example, the 2 meter downlink; same difference, no net "savings," or
reduction in any sliding QSO problem.

While a 3 kHz Doppler shift is trivial on the FM birds (including the
digital versions,) it bears correction on a SSB signal.

73, Mike

                                    __\/__
    | .                             / ^ _ \ .
    |                            |\| (o)(o) |/|
    ^     _  * -----------------.OOOo--oo--oOOO ------------------ *
   |||   | | * Mike Gilchrist - KF4FDJ .... AMSAT Area Coordinator *
   |X|   | | * P.O. Box 763 .................. AMSAT member #31884 *
   [X]~~~|k| * Fort Myers, FL 33902 ......... ARRL member #1781549 *
  /   \  |f| * http://www.gate.net/~seven77 telephone 941.772.7907 *
|     | |4| * kf4fdj@amsat.org ........................... EL96ap *
|  P  | |f| * Senior Operations Manager ...... Telephony Industry *
|  3  |=|d| *   AO10, AO27, Fujis, RS13, RS15, MIR?, SO35, UO22,  *
|  D  | |j| *   KITSAT,   UO-14,  SSTV,   ATV,  MS,  E&F Layers   *
|     | | | *   Bringing  Oscar demos to the Lee County Schools   *
  /*X*\  | | *  Black holes were created when God divided by zero. *
.                                  oooO   (  )
                                     \ (  (_/
                                      \_)