RE: Thoughts on future "FM birds" (was: proposal for,maximizing fm le o contacts)

On Thu, 17 Aug 2000, BOWEN, SCOTT M. (JSC-CC) wrote:

> What about the folks that don't have a 2M SSB rig on their mobile units?

Use a $49 downconverter to convert the 2m downlink to the 10m receiver.

> It would be slick to have 10M SSB up and 2M FM down. Overall though, I think
> that type of design has great possibilities :)

Yep but the problems are:

1) FM down requires 5 times more power per channel.  Satellites are very
limited in power.

2) FM down would require SSB receivers on the birds.  One per channel.
Much more complex than a linear translater.

3) No room.  10 channels of FM would consume the entire 2 meter satellite
allocation.

etc