Re: Thoughts on future "FM birds" (was: proposal for,maximizing fm le o contacts)

One observation:

I would hope in the next five or so years, with the advent of DSP IFs and
filters, and DDS referenced synths, that it will not cost anymore to build
an all mode VHF/UHF rig than an FM one.

So I think that someday when the Japanese manufacturers realize this you'll
find SSB rigs could be (depending on "marketing") as cheap as FM rigs.

Of course if Radio Shack can sell a 10M all-mode rig for $139, using
standard "crystal filter" technology, they could build a 2m one as cheaply.

But then again, 2m converters can be had fairly cheaply as well (Ten Tec
makes a ~=$100 one for HF to two)..

Either way it makes more sense to use SSB (in amateur radio service) for
satellite uplinks and downlinks.  A good scrounger can have a
LEO station for a couple of hundred dollars *IF* they can stand not
to be 100% "appliance operators".

Fred W0FMS