Re: Thoughts on future "FM birds" (was: proposal for maximizingfm le o contacts)

on 8/17/00 1:00 AM, Tony Langdon at tlangdon@atctraining.com.au wrote:

> Well, ideally, the linear birds are better suited to longer ragchews, as
> they have inherently greater traffic capacity, but perhaps more FM
> transponder space might be a good idea.

Better yet, move to the SSB birds!  C'mon Tony.  You seem like a good op and
are knowledgeable about satellites.  There is so much more out there than FM
birds.  I'd rather get more SSB birds up there than FM birds as they are so
much more useful and useable by people.  FM birds have too many limitations.

Yet, in the ham community everyone building satellites (except P3D) is
focusing on FM only.  It's sad because we are wasting resources and money on
a mode that is NOT appropriate for widespread use!  I bet as many hams that
get into satellites leave due to what they hear and see on the FM birds.
More won't help.

FM is fine for packet and data as many people can share the channel.  But
for voice, there are just too many limitations.  And turning UO14 over to FM
since it could no longer do packet was a WONDERFUL thing.  But FM is NOT all
there is to satellite operating.

Let's graduate to linear transponders and start putting resources and
attention there.  There's only a few good ones up there right now.  Instead
of encouraging people to stay on the FM birds and just hone their "antenna
dancing" technique or buy a better HT, why don't we encourage them to get a
fully developed satellite station.

73,

Jon
NA9D