Re: Has anybody heard AO-10 lately ?

At 01:36 PM 8/16/00 -0400, K5OE@aol.com wrote:
>I note AO-10 changes CP very quickly, whereas the LEOs like AO-27, FO-20,
>and UO-14 change CP more gradually--you can hear the signal decrease over
>a 10 second-or-so period and then you can change polarity to bring it
>right back up.  I am not qualified to guess why this is so,

Various sidelobes, backlobe, etc of a CP antenna can have different
polarization than the main lobe.  Some are right-hand and some are
left-hand.  So if the spacecraft were rotating so that you move out of the
main beam into a sidelobe, or from one sidelobe to another, or to the back
lobe, you could experience the polarization changes you describe.  I think
this is what is going on.

And yes, I also believe that polarization switching is a good thing.