Re: Has anybody heard AO-10 lately ?

At 05:18 PM 8/15/00 -0500, Jeff Grey wrote:
>Has anybody heard AO-10 ?  I have tried to hear AO-10's beacon & downlink
>traffic, but to no success. Either

Yes.  In my experience it comes and goes with a several minute
period.  Seems to be very weak near apogee.  I suspect that antennas are
pointed away from earth at that time.  I presume that the several minute
fading period involves some rotation of the spacecraft, in other words the
antennas pointed close enough to earth to pick up the signal for a few
minutes and then pointed farther away, or perhaps pointing a null toward
earth for a few minutes.  Sorry for the long-winded explanation.  If you
are listening near apogee, I suggest listening for at least 10 minutes
before giving up, because you might start listening in the middle of one of
those fades.

Others have reported strong signals near perigee, but I haven't tried that
lately.