[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next] - [Date Index][Thread Index][Author Index]

Re: SUCESS!



I agree Jon,

    All operators need to listen !!!

73,

Ken

kc7ppx@amsat.org



----- Original Message -----
From: "Jon Ogden" <na9d@mindspring.com>
To: "Butterfield" <Fiagoy@email.msn.com>; <nh6vb@juno.com>
Cc: <k6yk@juno.com>; <tiptond@psi.com>; <denmorr@bellsouth.net>;
<molou@big-river.net>; <amsat-bb@amsat.org>
Sent: Tuesday, August 15, 2000 12:24 AM
Subject: Re: [amsat-bb] SUCESS!


> on 8/14/00 11:06 PM, Butterfield at Fiagoy@email.msn.com wrote:
>
> > I think the main thing to remember is that you don't need a lot of power
> > on the uplink to hit the bird and get through.   I think there is a
problem
> > today in that instead of timing our transmissions and getting in that
way
> > many operators are putting more power to the bird which just slams
everyone
> > else especially those working QRP with an HT.   I have personally worked
> > stations from Hawaii to the Bahamas and from Alaska to southern Mexico
with
> > just an HT and 5 watts or less.
> > If someone wants to have a preamp on their downlink that's fine -- go
> > for it --  but PLEASE keep your transmitter power down so you don't
trounce
> > on the many of us working the birds with less power.
>
> I disagree.  If I run 2 Watts to my 40 elements on 432, I'll get in better
> than someone running 10 Watts to an omni.  Power is not necessarily the
only
> thing that matters.  That's what I mean about simplistic thinking on the
FM
> birds.  I am not meaning to insult you hear, but it is simplistic to say
> that people running too much power is why the FM birds are QRMed.  If
people
> operate PROPERLY, then who cares how much power you have!
>
> When operating satellites, it isn't just a matter of power.  I live in the
> mid-west.  Say I want to talk on a bird when it's on a pass off the coast
of
> California.  For me, that could be a very low angle pass.  It could be
> difficult to hit.  So I point my beams and crank up my power in order to
get
> through trees, obstructions, etc.  But let's say you live in California.
> For you, it might be a nearly overhead pass.  You are MUCH closer to the
> bird than I am.  You signal from your HT on a couple of Watts will
probably
> get through better than my 50 Watts.  You'll capture the bird before me.
>
> If we consider the distance between you and me to be 2000 miles and the
> distance between you and the bird when it is overhead is 400 miles, than
we
> can compute a rough estimate of the distance from me to the bird.  I say
> rough because I am going to assume a linear system here.  In real life,
it's
> a spherical system.  The distance from me to the bird is the hypotenuse of
a
> right triangle in my "linear" system.  Therefore from the Pathagorean
> theorem:  a^2 + b^2 = c^2, the distance from me to the bird is: 2039
miles.
> I have over 5 times the distance between the bird and myself than you do.
> The far field of an RF signal falls with a rate inversely proportional to
> the radius from you (1/R).  If you and I transmit with the same power, my
> signal at the bird will be much, much less than yours.  And if I run more
> power, it still might be less.
>
> So folks, get off the fact that people that run more power automatically
get
> into the FM birds.  IT JUST ISN'T TRUE!  This is simplistic terrestrial
> thinking drilled into us from too much operation on the local repeater.
>
> That fact that you have worked stations all over with just 5 Watts or less
> and an HT PROVES that your point is invalid.  You were able to capture the
> bird and make a QSO.  If your point was valid, you would never had made
> those QSOs as all the guys running high power would have blocked you out.
>
> The fact is that if people LISTEN more and don't just call and call and
> call, the birds will go smoother.  It really matters not what power who is
> running.  If the bird hears you, it hears you.  Your skill in operating is
> what sets you apart from the rest.  If everyone listened (including the
high
> power folks), the QRP people would get into the bird just fine.  So
listen,
> listen, listen, listen and listen again.
>
> The good Lord gave you two ears and one mouth.  Use them in that
proportion!
>
> 73,
>
> Jon
> NA9D
>
> -------------------------------------
> Jon Ogden
> NA9D (ex: KE9NA)
>
> Member:  ARRL, AMSAT, DXCC, NRA
>
> http://www.qsl.net/ke9na
>
> "A life lived in fear is a life half lived."
>

----
Via the amsat-bb mailing list at AMSAT.ORG courtesy of AMSAT-NA.
To unsubscribe, send "unsubscribe amsat-bb" to Majordomo@amsat.org



AMSAT Top AMSAT Home