Re: Hard keying a amp with Kenwood TS-711A

From: David Rice <dave@wsi.net>
To: <amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org>
Sent: Monday, August 14, 2000 1:52 PM
Subject: [amsat-bb] Hard keying a amp with Kenwood TS-711A

> I have a Kenwood TS-711A and a TE Systems 1410G amplifier. I want to
> "hard key" the amp with the radio. The radio has two DIN connectors.
> There is a 13 pin DIN and a 5 pin DIN. The 13 pin looks like it is
> for hooking up a TNC. The other one is not documented in the users
> manual. All it says is that it is for some kind of RTTY decoder.
> Any ideas?

I don't know why you'd hook a TNC up to an amp, that wouldn't make any
sense.  A TNC puts out digital data while an amplifier amplifies RF signals.

One of the DINs is probably used for a hard key circuit.  The other is
probably used to remotely control the amplifier.  I don't understand what
you'd hook a RTTY decoder up to an amplifier for either.  That doesn't make
sense.

Best bet is to take apart the amp and try to determine which, if either, of
the DINs connect to the keying circuit.  Then you can know what to do.

73,

Jon
NA9D