Re: SUCESS!

Actually, you don't need an all mode at all to work the FM birds.  You
could go as simple as an HT with a AMP.  Some contend that you can do it
without the amp.  I personally am using a pair of egg beater (Slightly
Modified) antennas.  For information on building those check out
http://members.aol.com/k5oe/ and look at the Egg Beater and Egg Beater
II's.  It's really simple.

I added a mast mounted pre-amp to my downlink antenna.  (70cm)  It made a
world of difference.  I picked up a Mirage/KLM KP-2/70cm for around $125
brand new from a company called "Radio Dan" out of california.  He has a
bunch of them sitting around evidently that he purchased from another store
that went out of business.  (In case you're wondering why I am giving such
an explanation, you'll soon see that Preamps are *EXPENSIVE* and that 125
is a steal (Especially when they work!).

Anyway, any 2 Single band rigs work well.  If you want to get more exotic,
you can go multimode single banders, and then there is the
Multi-Band/Multi-Mode rigs that get outright pricey, but well worth
it.  I'd try the KISS prinicipal initially.  That's what I did.  Simple to
operate radios, simple, omni-directional antennas, 1-Pre-AMP and a web
browser pointed to amsat's web site and another pointed to
http://www.heavens-above.com/ .  Heavens-above gives most downlink freq's
accurately, however, they usually don't publish the uplink.  (That's what
the AMSAT Page is for.)

Good Luck and Happy Hunting.  If you have anything else you'd like to ask,
fire away.

Dave, N8KXA