Re: uo-14 and emergency traffic

At 10:03 PM 8/11/2000 +00-05, Bruce Paige wrote:
>am i missing something in the fcc rules on this? 'sos' is used for an
>emergency call on cw and 'mayday' is used for an emergency on sideband
>and according to the rules, 'break' is used for an emergency on fm.

That's a purely local convention, Bruce.

In this area, "break" is routine, and "break break" is reserved for emergencies. I've even heard "break break break" for *real* emergencies. Preferably with a callsign appended.

Actually, anybody who has a real emergency would be well advised to set the conventions aside and simply say "Emergency!".

73  -Paul
kb5mu@amsat.org