Re: Moon or Sun

At 10:58 AM 8/11/2000 -0400, you wrote:
>Where can one get the KEPS for the Moon or Sun? Looking for Date/time and AZ
>and EL for checking alignment of tracking antenna. Thanks. Tom, W4EWB

Keplerian elements for the Sun are no problem, since the Earth's
orbit around the Sun is just like a satellite's orbit around the Earth.
Elements for the Moon, though, don't work very well, because the
two bodies in question interact.  It's possible to rig up a set of
Keps for the Moon, but they only last a few months before the
errors add up.  So instead of a set of elements, I suggest you get
a program that can generate a set of elements on demand.

You can find one on http://www.amsat.org/amsat/ftpsoft.html#pc-trk,
look for "MoonKeps".  As it happens, this zip file also includes a set
of elements for the Sun.

73  -Paul
kb5mu@amsat.org