Re: Moon as an alignment reference

Another reason a compass is not nearly as good as the sun/moon
positions (very accurately known) is that the Earths' magnetic
field (which your compass needle aligns with) is skewed. The
amount of skew, or deviation from 'true' N-S, depends on where
you are.  I've seen magnetic line maps which show approximate
skewing at various locations.  I consider it much more accurate
to use a good tracking program and sight in on Oscar 0.  And
yes, you can also align elevation the same way.
  73  John  W5EME