Re: Moon as an alignment reference

At 07:42 PM 8/10/00 -0400, Alan K. Adamson wrote:
>Can you use the moon as an alignment reference?  I've notice that what
>appears to be correct on a compass is about 4 degrees short when pointing at
>the moon.  I'm only checking Azimuth, but will it work for both Az and El?

Absolutely!  Highly recommended.  Sun and moon both make excellent antenna
alignment references.  (Same can be said about many thousands of other
celestial bodies, but the typical person can only identify the two big ones
reliably.)

An accurate bearing is very difficult to get from a compass.  Most people
fail this test.  They are sensitive to too much stuff in our everyday
environment when you are near your home.  Iron gas pipes in your walls,
your antenna tower, your car, etc etc.