RE: Beginner to Satellites

> Hello all,
> I am new to satellites so excuse my ignorance. I was just
> wondering what
> is the best antenna and dual band 2/440 rig for a beginner. If anybody
> has any suggestions please let me know.

If you're interested in working all the birds and have the money, I'd go for
something like an FT-847.  All band, all mode and satellite functionality
built in.  And when the birds are not available, the rig will do well for
terrestrial DX, or on good old HF. :-)

My own setups are a couple of HTs for the FM birds (Icom IC-T81A and Alinco
DJ-500T), along with a handheld beam.  For the linear birds, I will be using
the following gear:

IC-745 HF transceiver.
Standard C58 2m all mode. (1W, or 25W with matching amp).
Microwave Modules 10m - 2m transverter (10W O/P)
Microwave Modules 2m - 70cm transverter. (10W O/P)

Home brew beam antennas.

That should get me into the Fujis, RS-13 (have already worked that one), and
even AO-10, if it's near perigee.