Re: Yaesu VX-5R / ADI AT-600

Hi Jeff
I have an ADI 204 (that's a 600 clone that ADI made for Radio Shack)
It is doing a great job for me connected to an ARROW satellite beam.
I agree about the switching back and forth between bands but it is a
small
price to pay for full duplex. There is nothing better than hearing your
signal come back.
I borrowed a VX5 for a week and it is on my "next thing to buy" list.
I had FM satellite contacts every night on both UO14 and SO35 with it.
You can set up memories with a 2m transmit and a 70cm receive . I set up
five
for each satellite so that doppler correction just involves stepping
through the memories. The down side of course is that you can not hear
yourself, on the other hand if someone replies with your call, you made
it.
I had no success with the "Rubber Duck" antennas on either rig. I have
an after market 15" on my ADI and can hear the sats but have never had a
contact.
The VX5 also had an after market dualbander about 15" long and it could
hear but I never tried to transmit to a satellite the ARROW has spoiled
me I guess.

73

Peter K. Hodgson
VA3PKH