Re: Long Beam Installation?

on 8/6/00 2:59 PM, Jeff Davis at jeff@jehosophat.com wrote:

> Anyone on the list using the 42 element 435mhz/ 22 element 145mhz combo?
>
> Do you have to do anything special to help support the 18ft booms when using
> them in AZ-EL?

No.

The ARRL handbook does recommend some supports for the booms and it's done
pretty easily.  The 432 antenna, really won't need them.  It's short enough
that it's sag is minimal.  The 2M antenna could use it, but I haven't had
any problem.  I get more sag due to the fact I only used a fiberglass tube
instead of solid rod for my cross boom.  No matter, I've worked plenty of
guys on AO-10 with that set-up.

To me, the sag is pretty minimal.  I'd make sure I had a good solid
cross-boom if I were you.  Also, mount them in the X formation instead of
the + formation.  It helps to decouple you from the metal mast, etc.  Some
guys say they notice no difference, but you want to try to minimize that
sort of stuff, IMHO.

Have fun!

73,

Jon