Re: 2 meter uplink interference on 70 cm downlink

Erik Smith - ON1DAG wrote:

> Hello,
>
> When I am using FO20 or FO29 in JA mode I cannot copy myself on the 70 cm
> downlink because of havy interference. When using CW I can copy my signal,
> so I know that I have downlink signal. For SSB I can not copy my downlink
> signal. Looking at some documents about amateur satellite they are talking
> about a mode J filter.
>
> But what is the best way? Making a filter for my 70 cm pre amp or making a
> filter for my 2 meter up-link?
>
> Or is my uplink signal too much for my first stage of my 70 cm receiver? Or
> is a 3rd harmonic of my 2 mtr spoiling my 70 cm receiver?
>
> Is a part of a duplexer a good way to filter and has some one an easy to
> build filter for qrp power (like something which can be put in serie with
> the arrow antenna)?

A couple of thoughts.

The third harmonic of the 2M uplink is very close to the downlink.

A low pass filter will attenuate the 3rd harmonic energy from the 2M
transmitter - the 2M port of a 2M / 440 diplexer will work quite well -
terminate the 440 port with a low power dummy load.

A cavity type filter on the 2M transmit wont help at all as the third harmonic
energy will pass through the cavity just as easier as the fundamental signal.

A cavity type filter on the 435 MHz receive WILL help reduce the 2M signal.  If
you have a preamp on the 435 MHz receive, the cavity should be between the
antenna and the preamp to prevent having the strong 3rd harmonic signal from
overloading the preamp.

73
Jim Walls - K6CCC
k6ccc@amsat.org