Re: uo-36 tnc's

Hi Jeff,

Been one of the first few privately owned stations on UO-36 with the 38,400
baud data, and can also recommend the Symek TNC3S, it is a good dual platform
TNC with the advantage of allowing two separate modems to work as one now
that WiSP 32 as been modified at the beginning of the year. Now that we have
two very different speeds to content with, it is also better to make the jump
to the dual TNC modem platform as others have found to their delight, no more
having to switch TNC's or modems, just a single unit can handle both speeds
on the same serial port.

The future of digital data can expect to see a few increases in speed now
that we have broken the mould of the band width problem thanks to people like
James Miller and Ulf Kumm. Before we was limited by the cost and radio's in
circulation, now that we have the IFD Board which we can go all the way to
153k with a simple filter change, or 76,800 baud as the IFD baud comes.
Almost TNC's have the limiting factor of been a slow IF speed, less than 12
MHz will not allow you to reach 38,400 or higher normally, so you need a
better internal speed like 16 MHz or higher to be future proof for the next
generation of speeds. Most of the recent UoSat satellites are already capable
of 76,800 baud downlinks as they have DSP modems installed, it is just that
we have never moved beyond 9600 baud until now. I am sure that Phase 3D is
also very capable to speeds which the TNC3S will work too, I believe that
they will be trying the latest 153k data rate.

People like Chris Jackson, Ulf Kumm, Roy W0SL, Colin Hurst with graphics many
others including me think we have ironed out most of the bugs that the Beta
teams found. Now you just have to wet your feet and enjoy making the move to
the next generation of satellites, you will not regret it, all of us found it
hard to contain our selves when seeing those byte counters ripping on and off
the screen. Watch the "T" counter at the bottom of MSPE in WiSP and see the
numbers roll, it is like a dream come true. Watch the smaller 65kb image
files come down, we now download many in a single pass, something that all of
us on the 9600 baud satellites wished for and Chris Jackson and the UoS team
gave us.

We all look forward to seeing many more callsigns on UO-36 as this will
signal to the makers (UoS) that we are also ready to make the move to 76,800
baud and above.

Hope that gives you one person's view, and I look forward to seeing you
working the satellite soon. (That is when I service my rotors (G5600B) too,
seams it is time for us all to service them, Hi.)

Take care Jeff

Chris

In a message dated 03/08/00 12:29:43 Greenwich Standard Time, kb2wqm@juno.com
writes:

> I'm getting ready to install  a Symek IFD board in my 847. What TNC's are
>  usable at 38k4?

Chris J. Dixon
MILT MInstTA MISM
GW6KZZ