Re: More 5400/ KR500 rotor Questions

mmccarty@zianet.com wrote:

>  > >  > > Does anybody know where to buy .3125 replacement BALLS
>  > >  > > for the Elevation Rotor part of the 5400 ( ie KR-500 )
>  > >  > > I would like to buy these in STAINLESS STEEL in at least
>  > >  > > 304 grade preferably 316...
>  > >  > >
>  > >  > > This way, with the poor weather-seal on these rotors, the balls
>  > >  > > would not become mini-pulverizers to the pot-metal races of the housing and
>  > >  > > revolving element after rusting...
>
> Are the balls .3125 or .3150?  I ordered some 8mm balls from
> www.bocabearing.com, but they screwed up the order.  Since I have to
> reorder I could save some money by buying .3125 since the fractional inch
> sizes are cheaper.  Then again the .0025 might not make a difference either
> way.
>
> Does anybody have any thoughts on how to best paint the housings?  I've had

I used a good quality metel primer from my local hardware store and followed the
directions to the letter.  I used a high speed grinder and a wire wheel to clean the
rough stuff off and accetone to clean the brushed aluminum surface of any oils or H2O.
I then put the metal primer to them without delay.  In this case the -them- is a set of
four aluminum wheels whose outer surface has corroded.  I followed up the primer coats
with a few coats of black primer.  This paint job has survived 1 and a half winters one
tire change -all four wheels- and four years total with no signs of lifting off the
surface.

As I learned in the boat yard I worked at, to get myself through school, surface
preperation is the key.  It must be clean and free from oils - finger prints as well -
without corrosion, nicks or surface irregularities.  Surface preperation it the trick.

--
Bronson Crothers
LASST

Phone: 207 581 2252