Re: 1st rigs and antenna building.

Having just gone through all this, let me say:  "Good Luck"..  It's not
that bad though..

I didn't set out to build a monster statioin, however, I did buy a few
pieces of gear.

A Icom IC-290H is the transmitter I use.  I picked it up on Ebay for a
couple hundred bucks.  I built a pair of Egg Beater antennas.  You can find
the plans for them at http://members.aol.com/k5oe/ and I know you'll like
them.  Just make sure you read the directions carefully, and if you need
some RG-62, let me know, I have tons of it now.  (Thanks to many many
donations and a 500 foot spool of it I won on EBay for a buck.)

One issue I've run into is that of receiver sensitivity.  No matter how
hard I've tried, I still have trouble hearing the downlinks.  I highly
recommend a good preamp.  That alone can set you back a few bills, but if
you're going to hook it to a scanner, go to www.hamtronics.com.  They offer
a $29 unit that would probably meet your needs.

I'm new to this as well, so just remember, I may not be the most
authoritative source, but if I can help, let me know.

73,
Dave, N8KXA
Bedford, TX