Re: Alinco DJ-V5

Thanks Frank for the opportunity to throw this in.

The DJ-V5 is a single receiver, dual band HT.   It will not to full duplex
operation. HOWEVER, it will do crossband operation.  The way it does this is
to transmit on the Memory channel you've selected, but receives on the VFO.
They can be entirely different bands.  This allows you to tune for receive
Doppler, while keeping the transmit frequency the same.  So it will do Mode
J, you just can't hear yourself.

A couple of other things I've wanted to share about the DJ-V5.   It's a good
little scanner radio as well.  Once you "unlock" it for wide band receive
the VFO now has 5 band stacking registers, that cover 76Mhz to 1Ghz.  There
are also 5 pairs of scanning edge memories.  So, in VFO mode, you hold the
SCAN button, turn the knob to select the pair of frequencies you want to
scan and let go.   I had my 5 pair set to scan 2mFM, 440FM, VHF public
service, UHF public service and the aircraft band.

Many important functions on this Alinco are one key operation.  Not 2
finger, or Fn+x.   Especially scanning.  I've got to have one key start and
stop.  I scan a fair amount.

Also, the radio is a little bulky compared with most other HTs.  The good
news is that when you stand it up on your desk, dashboard or window sill, it
stays standing.   It doesn't teeter back and forth then fall on it's face.

Alf - W4ADS