FW: Re: Why preference for mode J?

Tony Lang said (in part):

----------
>> I just uploaded a MP3 which gives a vague idea of what the QRM
>> is like.  There will be a more suitable pass this week which should
>> give me a better opportunity to record the QRM.  Look up the July
>> 29 entry on
>> http://www.qsl.net/vk3jed/sat.html

Then Lee Devlin, KØLEE replied:

> I listened to this pass and heard absolutely no QRM (at least by U.S.
> standards).  Are you sure it's the correct recording?  Perhaps
> someone should  tape a west coast pass in the U.S. and you can
> hear 10 solid minutes of Mexican taxi drivers (pirates) QRMing both
> AO27 and UO14.  Fortunately, we can usually step on these pirates
> with directional beams even with low power but they are still a
> nuisance.

I'm in agreement with most of what Lee said.  I listened to that pass you
recorded on SO-35 and I would love to have UO-14 passes that quiet!  About
the only time we EVER get a pass that quiet is on passes that just barely
cover the west coast of the U.S.  For those passes, the couple of us along
the west coast actually get to talk to each other for a while.  Other than
that, it's DX pileup type operation.
As to Lee's last statement, there are times when even high ERP can't get
over the TJ Taxi guys.  It's not unusual for me to just be a hetrodyne under
the Mexicans when I'm using full power from a Yaesu FT-736 into 40 elements.
The low power stations are not even heard at all.

I will try to record a couple passes from my station and post them on my web
site in the next couple days.

73
Jim Walls - K6CCC
k6ccc@amsat.org
http://home.earthlink.net/~k6ccc/
Ofc:  626-302-8515    FAX:  626-302-9999
AMSAT member 32537 / WSWSS member 395