Re: 12/9600 baud Mobile Sat Msg tests (D700)

On Mon, Jul 24, 2000 at 02:29:30PM -0400, Bob Bruninga wrote:
> Today we did the same DATA performance tests on two D700 data radios as we
> reported last week for the D7.  The results were very similar with 1200
> baud being about 7 dB better than 9600.  Thus, we conclude that for
> reliable delivery of short text messaging to mobile and handheld satellite
> users, that a 1200 baud 2m downlink is by far the most effective from a
> power budget standpoint.  Going to 9600 baud requires 5 times more power
> and only gains about a doubling of throughput due to TXD...

This doesn't sound too good.  What is the shortest TXD that can be used
with the D700?  Most "9600-ready" radios have pretty miserable TXD
performance, but I would expect that a radio designed with a built-in
TNC would be optimized a bit.

Bob

----
Bob Nielsen, N7XY                          nielsen@oz.net