Re: Re: USB-tracking

We have been looking into USB for a project here at my REAL job, and the
HOST side, at this time, needs to be Windows, but I believe that Linux will
support it shortly. I do not know of any DOS drivers, and have not heard
that there are any in progress.

What is happening in the PC world, is that Microsoft, Compact, and Intel
(this information comes from a PIC seminar that I attended) are pushing to
eliminate SERIAL and PARALLEL connectors on mother boards at some point in
the future. We all know how fast technology is changing these days, so
something like this could happen fairly fast.

It is a good thing that there are companies that make the USB to serial
converters (www.bb-elec.com for one) to handle the older stuff.

To make a device that connects to the USB seems to be on the not toooooo
hard side, based on articles that I have read in Nuts and Volts Magazine,
attending the PIC seminar, and reading the  book "USB COMPLETE" written by
Jan Axelson. But the HOST end is layers deep and a whole different ballgame.

Just my two cents for this morning. No relation to the above companies.

Gene Harlan - WB9MMM
Harlan Technologies - publisher of
OSCAR Satellite Report - OSR@hampubs.com
Amateur Television Quarterly - ATVQ@hampubs.com