AO-10 working GREAT!

Earlier this morning, AO-10 made a perigee pass across the southern part
of North America - OK, that's not news.  What is news, is just how well
it was working.  While the satellite was still well out over the
Pacific, the beacon was so strong it darn near hurt my ears when I
dialed it up.  I had to drop my uplink power down to about 3 watts to
stay below the beacon.  Later on during the pass I was talking to N1RAK
in Rhode Island, and dropped my uplink power to 100 milli-watts on the
peaks, and was still a very usable signal for both Ralph and I on the
downlink.  BTW, I'm running the KLM long boom CP yagi pair for my
antennas, but had the preamp turned off.
I am used to dropping my uplink power on some of the LEO birds, but this
is the first time I have needed to drop that low on AO-10 and had it
working SOOOOOO WELL!  Not bad for a 17 year old bird!

73
Jim Walls - K6CCC
k6ccc@amsat.org
http://home.earthlink.net/~k6ccc/